2023 BRAVO! Competition
Fontana is pleased to announce the 2023 BRAVO! Competition, joining many community partners to host this annual event for young musicians in Kalamazoo and the surrounding areas.
About the Competition
Established in 2001, the BRAVO! competition was incorporated into Fontana Chamber Arts’ outreach program in 2015 and 2016. In collaboration with local arts organizations and community advocates, Fontana is excited to sponsor BRAVO! once again. Similar in format to NPR’s “From the Top,” BRAVO! is a free public recital that celebrates the talents of area student musicians who audition for spots on the program in front of a panel of professional musicians.
BRAVO! supports advanced-level student musical talent by offering a competitive performance opportunity. Performers are selected for the competition via auditions for a public performance that will showcase the highest level of musical proficiency represented by locally based students through grade 12.
Student musicians through grade 12 in any musical discipline may apply.
- Application Deadline: Friday, February 24, 2023
- Auditions: Wednesday, March 22, 2023, 6:00 PM – Judy K. Jolliffe Theatre at the Epic Center (Individual audition times will be emailed to participants by Wednesday, March 15, 2023.)
- Performance: Wednesday, April 19, 2023, 7:00 PM – Judy K. Jolliffe Theatre
- The deadline for submitting applications is Friday, February 24, 2023 (11:59 p.m. EST).
- The application fee is $20 USD payable online or by check.
- Students have the opportunity to waive the application fee in the application form based on financial need.
- Applicants will have the opportunity to submit special requests regarding audition time on the application form.
- Any other requests or questions can be sent by email to Cori Somers at email@example.com or by calling our office at (269) 382-7774.
A check payable to Fontana (with BRAVO! in the memo) may also be mailed to:
Attn: 2023 BRAVO! Competition
359 S. Kalamazoo Mall, Suite 202
Kalamazoo MI 49007
Eligibility & Repertoire Requirements
- Regional in scope, the competition is open to advanced student musicians from greater Kalamazoo and the adjacent counties of Allegan, Barry, Branch, Calhoun, Cass, St. Joseph, and Van Buren.
- There is no restriction as to the styles and genres of music to be considered.
- Solos as well as ensembles are welcomed (one entry per ensemble).
- Applicants may apply for a solo and in an ensemble with two different applications.
- Accompanists are the responsibility for the musicians.
Awards & Benefits
The 2023 BRAVO! winners winners will be announced on our website and contacted via email on Thursday, March 23, 2023. Selected by a panel of judges, winners will be featured in a FREE recital at the Judy K. Jolliffe Theatre in the Epic Center on Wednesday, April 19, 2023 at 7:00 pm, with portions of the performance broadcast at a later date on WMUK’s 89.9 FM “From the Top” and on Public Media Network with encore presentations.
Other awards and benefits include:
- The opportunity for 1-2 professional coaching sessions 1-2 weeks prior to the April 19 concert.
- Four tickets to an upcoming concert from one of the following organizations: the Gilmore International Piano Festival, Fontana Chamber Arts, and the Kalamazoo Symphony Orchestra.
- Choose from fun gift cards to a variety of businesses!
It takes a village, and we are so grateful to all of the organizations and individuals who contribute their time, efforts and resources to provide these young musicians the opportunity to perform for you – our community. Once you experience a performance by this select group of students, you will agree that our artistic future is shining bright!
- Kristen Chesak – Executive Director, Arts Council of Greater Kalamazoo
- Lee Fletcher – Executive Director, Kalamazoo Junior Symphony
- Margaret Hamilton – Community (Musician and teacher)
- Danielle Lewis – Program Director, Black Arts And Cultural Center
- Audrey Lipsey – Executive Director, Crescendo Academy of Music
- Derl Oberlin – Board President, Stulberg International String Competition
- Jane Rooks Ross – Board Member, Kalamazoo Symphony Orchestra; Arts consultant
- Barry Ross – Community (Musician and teacher)
- Adam Schumaker – Education Director, Gilmore Piano Festival
- Matt Schuster – Executive Director, Public Media Network
- Susan Uchimura – Community (Musician and teacher)
- Megan Yankee – Executive Director, Stulberg International String Competition
- Liz Youker – Education Director, Kalamazoo Symphony Orchestra
- Bryan Zocher – Executive Director, Education for the Arts
- Stephen Williams – General Manager, WMUK-FM; Board Member, Kalamazoo Symphony Orchestra